One hundred and fifty years and counting — the little church by the maple trees
and thestrong-flowing spring is still persevering by the grace of God.
2026 & Beyond — Still Faithful, Still Moving Forward

The Cumberland Presbyterian denomination was organized in Dickson County, Tennessee, on February 4, 1810 — an outgrowth of the Great Revival of 1800, one of the most powerful spiritual awakenings this country has ever witnessed. Our Confession of Faith, which we hold to this day, is drawn from Scripture and rooted in the truth of John 3:16.
Maple Springs has now worshipped in this building for more than twenty years. Through every season, God’s faithfulness has remained constant and His goodness unmistakable. He continues to lead this congregation along His path, according to His agenda and His mission — always and ever toward the two great commandments that have guided this church from its very founding:
To love God. To love others.
One hundred and fifty years and counting — the little church by the maple trees and the strong-flowing spring is still persevering by the grace of God.
2018 — A New Family Answers the Call

In February 2018, the Lord brought a wonderful family to Maple Springs — and as the story goes, it was partly because of the church’s name. Josiah, the pastor’s young son, cast the deciding family vote to come and serve — because Josiah liked maple syrup. And so, Bro. Justin Griffin, his wife Joanna, and their children Justina, Jessy, and Josiah came to Maple Springs. Bro. Justin is currently (May 2026) the pastor. Their family has been a beautiful gift to this congregation.
A Church in the Heart of the Community

Over the decades, Maple Springs has woven itself into the fabric of the surrounding community — through revivals, parades, food booths, Easter Sunrise services, Thanksgiving gatherings, and a commitment to serve those in need. The church has contributed to a community benevolent fund and developed outreach opportunities including volunteering at a soup kitchen, supporting women’s shelters, and singing at assisted living facilities.
The space God has provided has been used with joy and intention: Annual Homecomings, Round-Up Sundays, Opry Nights, Parents’ Night Out, Spaghetti Suppers, Valentine Date Nights, Movie Nights, the Annual Bazaar and Stew Sale, Trunk or Treat, Harvest Festival, Back-to-School Bash, and Vacation Bible Schools — just to name a few.
2002–2004 — Stepping Out in Faith

In 2002, Maple Springs stepped out in faith. The congregation sensed a clear and stirring vision from the Lord — to expand His kingdom through a larger facility with greater capacity to gather His children under the shadow of His wings. A building committee was formed, and the congregation voted to undertake a major remodel and expansion. The groundbreaking took place in October 2002, and on Easter Sunday 2004, the congregation moved into their new sanctuary — an addition of approximately 12,000 square feet. The joy was exuberant as they celebrated and gave thanks to the God who had made it all possible.
Along the way, a pavilion, a steeple, and a new sign were added. Many members gave generously of their time and finances. The women’s ministry rose beautifully to the moment, compiling two cookbooks to help fund the project: The Bread of Life — a fitting title for a community nourished by the Word of God — and Heavenly Dishes.
1997–2017 — Twenty Years of Faithful Pastoral Leadership

After many years of helping to develop young seminary students, in 1997 the Lord sent Maple Springs an ordained pastor who would remain for twenty years: Rev. Jerald Smith and his wife, Genelle. This season of stability opened the door to tremendous growth — in membership, in ministry, and in the building itself.
A thriving youth group formed around the year 2000. As these young people grew not only in number but in their relationship with Jesus, they began to serve others in meaningful ways — volunteering at a local food kitchen, participating in World Vision’s 30-Hour Famines, serving as Sunday School Superintendents, helping with church bazaars, singing Christmas carols in the community, and ministering to those in assisted living and skilled nursing facilities. They also found great joy in fellowship, camping, sports, and music — taking trips to Six Flags Over St. Louis, floating the Current River and camping in Van Buren, Missouri, and attending baseball games in St. Louis and Memphis.
1980–1996 — New Roots, New Growth

In 1980, Rev. Dana Kuhn became pastor at Maple Springs. During this season, the church adopted a rotating session and, for the first time, included women as elders. The four elected women elders were Lavern Blankenship, Wilma Jo Diffee, Karen May, and Jewel Willoughby.
Around this same time, the church bazaar began — first through the Maple Springs Day Circle (1914-2006) and later carried on by the Faith Circle of the Cumberland Presbyterian Women’s Ministry (1991-present). The women of Maple Springs grew close, united by a hunger to study the Word of God together. In 1997, this fellowship gave rise to a Women’s Bible Study, meeting on Wednesday nights — a ministry that would continue for twenty years. It was also during this era that the church began sending signed prayer letters to those who were hurting or had lost loved ones, a practice that continues to this day and remains a blessing to all who receive them.
1979 — Music, Youth, and Ministry

In 1979, Rev. Wayne Morgan and his family became the first occupants of the current manse. Rev. Morgan was instrumental in developing a youth group and choir that would leave a lasting mark on the congregation. With approximately 25 young people and a few young adults, this group called themselves the Maple Springs Youth Choir.
Fueled by a love of music and a calling to glorify God, the choir purchased a bus and traveled throughout West and Middle Tennessee, sharing their testimonies through song. They produced a recording, and many who heard them along the way purchased it as a keepsake. The very first track was “Did You Ever Hear God Speaking to You?” With the proceeds from their ministry, the choir funded the paving of the church parking lot. Those who were a part of it will tell you, even today, that this season had a profound impact on their faith journey.
1972 — A Centennial Celebration

In 1972, Maple Springs celebrated its 100th birthday, with Rev. Ronnie Longmire serving as pastor. New pews were placed in the sanctuary that year — the same pews that remain there today. Shortly after, the current manse was purchased from Devon Smith on Maple Springs Road (Beech Bluff Road).
1954–1965 — Building on Solid Ground

By 1954, plans were well underway for something the congregation had long envisioned: a new brick church building and a manse. The first manse was completed in 1956, located at the corner of John Holt Road and Maple Springs Road. Then came Easter Sunday, April 1960 — the congregation gathered for the first time in their beautiful new brick sanctuary, a moment overflowing with celebration and heartfelt gratitude to God.
In 1965, the bell from the top of the original church was placed in a new wrought iron bell tower, and the building was air-conditioned. All of this was accomplished through the hands of the congregation — through volunteerism, prayer, and hard work. They did not borrow money; they simply and steadily worked toward a goal. Their combined efforts beautifully reflect the scriptural truth of “One Body, Many Parts” (1 Corinthians 12:27). Everything took time, but they were faithful and diligent stewards.
1889–1948 — Growing by Lamplight

The church’s written records began in February 1889, opening a window into the life of a congregation already well-rooted in the community. Due to continued growth and a desire for a more central location, Maple Springs relocated and built a larger building. In September 1892, Henry Matlock, R.H. Buck, and H.B. Matlock were elected to sell the original church property and transfer the proceeds to the treasurer. Henry Matlock donated two acres of land at the present location, and a 30 x 40-foot building was erected to accommodate the growing congregation.
In 1895, the congregation acquired the necessary space to establish a cemetery near where they fellowshipped and worshipped. In 1926, two women were ordained as deacons: Dovie Fowler (Holt) and Thelma Alexander — a meaningful step in the life of the church.
In the early 1940s, new pews were purchased to welcome a growing flock, and Aladdin lamps cast their warm glow over services that stretched into the evening hours. The year 1948 brought a new era: Maple Springs was wired for electricity, and the cherished Aladdin lamps were sold. That same year, locks were placed on the church doors for the first time — small but meaningful milestones marking the steady maturation of a congregation putting down deep roots.
1872 — A Community Answers the Call

In the early months of 1872, the settlers of this Tennessee community felt the weight of a shared conviction — a responsibility to their families and to God. Recognizing the need for a house of worship, they gathered together and appointed a committee to find a suitable location for their new church.
Their search led them to purchase a lot from Mr. Clark Diffee, Sr., situated a quarter mile northeast of the church’s present location. A modest one-room building was erected, and the young congregation turned its attention to an important question: under what denomination would this church stand?
The answer came largely through the influence of Mr. Charles Buck and his family, who had been active members of a Cumberland Presbyterian Church near Lexington, Tennessee. Through his encouragement, the congregation chose to organize under that same fellowship — and so Maple Springs Cumberland Presbyterian Church was born, named for the maple trees and the strong, free-flowing spring that graced the surrounding land.
Charter Families: Blankenship · Buck · Collier · Craven · Matlock · Thomas · Webb · Wilkins

